Canadian regulations under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA) require that individuals who counsel debtors in trustees' offices and credit counselling services become registered Insolvency Counsellors.
As a result, the Chartered Insolvency and Restructuring Professional Qualification Program (CQP), through the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP), offers the Insolvency Counsellor's Qualification Course - the ICQC.
The ICQC consists of four modules that cover key concepts and enable the candidate to develop the skills required of a qualified Insolvency Counsellor. Emphasis is placed on the practical application of theoretical knowledge.
The four modules of the ICQC are:
- Personal Insolvency / Bankruptcy under the BIA
- Interviewing and Counselling
- Elements of Money Management
- Money in Context
Course Schedule for 2017-2018
We are pleased to offer two course sessions for 2017-2018:
Registration: July 3 - September 29, 2017
Exam Date : January 18, 2018
Registration: December 1, 2017 - February 28, 2018
Exam Date : June 28, 2018
For detailed course information, download the Information Package
For online registration, go to our Registration Site
Some key aspects of the ICQC:
- The course is offered twice a year. Registration for Session 1 takes place from July through September, and the online exam is held in January. Registration for Session 2 takes place from December through February, and the online exam is held in June. For dates of each course schedule, please refer to the pdf version of the complete Information Package.
- Course material is distributed electronically, but hard copies are available.
- Candidates are provided with a User ID and password for a secure website from which the course material is accessed. Exam Information Packages and other announcements are distributed from this site throughout the year.
- Candidates should expect to spend at least 50 to 100 hours on the course as well as 15 to 30 hours observing a qualified counsellor in the role of counselling debtors.
- The online course exam is administered at an exam centre established by the candidate and under the supervision of a presiding officer, who will ensure that the exam is written according to CQP rules.
Insolvency Counsellor's Qualification Course
Mirela Bolentiru, Education and Membership Coordinator
277 Wellington Street West
The CQP reserves the right to amend ICQC course information, prices, and any other information on this website. In any instances of discrepancies between information on this website and other information provided by the CQP, the most recent information, as stipulated by the CQP Registrar, shall take precedence.
In all instances, it is the responsibility of applicants and candidates to ensure they have requested and obtained accurate information about the ICQC and the requirements to become a registered Insolvency Counsellor. In no instance will the CQP be liable for any expenses, potential losses, or un-realized revenue that might be portrayed as having occurred either as a result of the refusal of the CQP to admit an applicant into the program or from any failure of a candidate to become a qualified Insolvency Counsellor.